Politics (NOT) As Usual

I've never been a political junkie.  I've never been one to start foaming at the mouth at the mention of a particular party's stance on an issue.  I would watch (maybe) one debate before an election  and could not have told you the name of my state house or senate representative if held at gunpoint.

Let's be honest.  I went to the polls to get my sticker, a selfie of my civic-minded self and to feel like I had exercised my right to vote.  You should note the order in which I listed those...

But THIS year!

I settled in on the couch with a bowl of popcorn for every single Republican debate and fell asleep listening to the Democratic ones.  I welcomed verbal exchanges with strangers about candidates and found myself absolutely fascinated that some were such rabid supporters of CandidateX.

I was tempted (just being honest) to Google the campaign webpages of each candidate to see where they stand on the issues.  I now read editorials about the election and glance at national polling results.  I have even considered putting up a yard sign.

But...why?

I still don't know for sure.  Is it because I've finally grown up and realized the importance of the political process?  Is it because of the things that I am seeing happening in this nation and around the world?  Is it because this election has become the newest offering in my reality TV lineup or is it because this election has been an election like no other?

I think it's a little bit of all of those.

All of the sudden, I feel so old, so weary, so concerned and so entertained.

Comments

Popular Posts