Judge Georgie

Employee evaluations...booooooo! (Be prepared, major moaning and groaning lies ahead). Consider yourself warned.

As I was saying....Employee evaluations...I hate them. I hate giving them and I hate receiving them.

Why I hate giving them. Chapter one. You're basically being forced to judge someone. Now don't get me wrong. I judge. I'm a judger. Guilty as charged. But the judging I typically do (for example: "Those shoes with that skirt? Criminal!" or "His wife must have been angry when she cut his hair.") are generally superficial harsh judgments that the person never hears. Those are my forte. But telling someone that what they do to earn their livelihood is lacking in some way...tears me up. I want to hold their hand and say, "We're going to get through this together. Now do your work correctly or you're fired. Horrible shoes by the way but nice shirt." Ummm....yeah...inapppropriate.

Why I hate getting them. Chapter two. I am perfect. The end. Ok, so I'm not but I can guarantee that I grade/judge myself ten million times harder than my boss judges me. I will beat myself up over a project while my boss is saying to let it go. For OCD self criticizers like myself, I think evaluations of any kind (by other people) should be banned. Who's with me?

Closing Remarks. Chapter three. Who does like employee evaluations and how can I go into an evaluation less nervous than the person I'm evaluating?

Have I confused you yet?

Fin.

Comments

Popular Posts