On a mission to recapture the warm and fuzzies

Because my current job is sucking all of the goodness that ever existed (or that ever hopes to exist) from my soul, I decided that I needed to start volunteering. So, that at least in some small way, I might recapture the warm and fuzzies I once believed existed for everyone. (Sorry, had to wax poetic a little.) Anyhoo, I volunteered with an organization that needed volunteers to visit with the elderly in nursing homes. I thought that this would be rather easy. I started rethinking the easiness of it all as I took the required CPR certification course and watched video after video about the organization's mission statement and beliefs. Well, today I went to visit my first two patients. The first one was stuffing Cheetos and crackers into a Kleenex box in an effort to hide them. Her oxygen, which should have been going into her nostrils, was pointed directly into her eyes. The second one, who I actually think I'll just end up loving, cried out, "Oh, please don't leave me!" every time I got ready to go and my thirty minute visit turned into a two hour one. Slowly but surely I just may recapture the warm and fuzzies (as well a few fuzzy lint-coated Cheetos along the way).

Song of the day: "Heal the World" - Michael Jackson

Comments

Popular Posts